For your guidance : Forthcoming Events are listed in chronological order, below that the Recent Events are first collated by category, and further down the page listed chronologically, the latter list contains links to selected announcements of, and reports on, events.
“Please scroll down for selected Announcements of and Reports on Recent Events”
These Anglo-Netherlands Society events were earlier announced in the Society’s quarterly Newsletter. Please use the application form included with the Newsletter to book. Alternatively, Members can download a PDF of the forms from the Members’ Page.
Selected events are open to non-members, who may either join an event as a Member’s Guest (if sufficient places are available) or ask to be a paying guest.
Please send an e-mail : enquiries19 ‘at’ anglo-netherlands.org.uk to find out whether this applies to an event you are interested in.
Clickable links are shown in bold maroon-brown type, keywords are in bold blue type.
Unilever Lecture : “The antiques Rogue show – an examination of Dutch Art in Crime”
On a Tuesday in March at 6 for 6.30pm, reception, introduction and buffet supper. Central London location, carriages by 10.15pm.
Dutch Masters Flower Arranging and Lecture
On a Friday at 2pm, Knightsbridge.
Van Gogh and Britain exhibition
Tate Britain, on a Friday at 11am.
Clickable links are shown in bold maroon-brown type, keywords are in bold blue type.
the editor proposes to remove the text and links in ‘strikethrough’ at the coming update
Previous Events by category: Concerts and recitals Dinners (Annual, Celebratory and Members’),
Formal Receptions, and Prominent Speakers Major Art Exhibitions Theatre, Shows, Ballet, Dance and Musicals Multi-day Tours in the United Kingdom
and our acclaimed “Off the Beaten Track”
five-day tours in the Netherlands
- “Unilever Lecture” Series
One-day visits to places of interest in the U.K. Each category can be accessed via the drop-down menu under “Recent Events”,
alternatively clicking a bold maroon word will open that page in a new window.
- Russia : Royalty & the Romanovs – Private talk & viewing the exhibition at the Queens Gallery, Buckingham Palace, London. On Thursday 31 January at 11am, followed by an optional lunch.
- Hand & Lock: Atelier tour of London’s premier embroidery house. On Wednesday 6 February at 11am.
- Spencer House, a private guided tour of the magnificent State Rooms, followed by optional lunch, took place on Sunday 21 January at 12 noon.
- New Postal Museum : this visit regretfully needed to be cancelled at the last moment, as some technical hitch had developed on the Mail Train, thus Members also missed out on the optional lunch, on Friday 16 February at 11am.
- “Shot down and on the Run” – the annual Unilever Lecture, by Air Commodore Graham Pitchfork, MBE, BA, FRAeS reviewed the creation and activities of the Dutch squadrons within the Royal Air Force in the European Theatre during World War Two. On the evening of Tuesday 13 March at 6 for 6.30pm at a Central London location.
- “Reformation Treasures” – a private “show and tell” event by Marja Kingma, curator Germanic Collections, Dutch Languages, on Tuesday 17 April at 11.00am.
- Royal Hospital Chelsea – guided by a Chelsea Pensioner, on Tuesday 15 May at 1.30pm.
- Rotterdam Visit – from Tuesday 8 ‘tea-time’ till Saturday 12 May ‘breakfast’.
- R’dam Pics : a password restricted page with photos – members only.
- NDT1 :
- Thames Barrier visit and return boat trip from Westminster Pier to the Thames Barrier Information Centre, and an exclusive talk there. On a Saturday in July at 10.30am from Westminster Pier
- Clarence House, guided tour of the official residence of TRH The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall The house is only open to the public in August. On Sunday 12 August at 12 noon.
- London Walk : RAF 100, a guided walk through Westminster, with a Blue Badge Guide who also happens to be a memer of the Society. On Saturday 8 September at 11am.
- Sandycombe Lodge : JWM Turner’s Home, guided visit of Turner’s House in Twickenham, lunch at The Crown, and a visit to Orleans House Gallery. Wednesday 3 October from 11.30am – 3.30pm.
- Postal Museum our postponed February visit. On Tuesday 6 November at 12 noon.
- Members’ Dinner with guest speaker the Hon. Peter Wilson CMG, H.M. Ambassador to the Netherlands, on the subject “The Netherlands and the United Kingdom: the bilateral relationship and our common interests”, at the Reform Club, Pall Mall, London. On Friday 16 November at 7 for 7.45pm.
- Chandos House and AGM. On Tuesday 4 December, at 3pm for the tour of Chandos House, 2 Queen Anne Street, London W1G 9LQ, and at 5pm for the AGM at Heineken, Elsley Court, off 20-22 Great Titchfield Street, Fitzrovia, London W1V 8BE.
- Linley Sambourne House, took place on Thursday 19 January, at 11am;
- New “Europe 1600-1815” Galleries, V&A, on a Tuesday in February at 11am ; waiting list only;
- ‘Learning a hard lesson : the Dutch in the Medway 1667’ – the annual Unilever Lecture, by Professor Andrew Lambert, Laughton Professor of Naval History, Department of War Studies at King’s College, on a Tuesday in March, reception at 6pm, introduction at 6.30, followed by buffet supper;
- “Obsession”, by Toneelgroep Amsterdam, at the Barbican, Starring Jude Law and directed by Ivo van Hove, a stage adaptation of Ossessione, a 1943 film which gave rise to a cinematic movement, on a Sunday in April at 3pm, optional lunch at 12.30pm;
- “Purcell Club : a Private Musical Tour of Westminster Abbey in the evening” – one of only ten Tours annually, taking in parts of the Abbey where public access is usually restricted, on a Saturday in May at 6.45pm;
- Battle of the Medway : 350th anniversary, a day along the Medway : Chatham Dockyard, Upnor Castle and a mini-cruise on the river, on a Saturday in June;
- Alma-Tadema Exhibition, Leighton House, a Guided Tour at the exhibition themed around Alma-Tadema’s interest in antiquity, his paintings – with their sensuous depictions – evoke a Hollywood vision of the domestic interior in Ancient Greece and Rome, on a Saturday in July, at 11am;
- Guided Walk through Soho, a Private Tour with ANS member and City of Westminster Guide Lulu Martyn-David, on a Saturday in August, at 11am’;
- Stephens House and Gardens, Finchley, a Private Guided Tour to a house not normally open to the public. Home to the Stephens family of ‘Blue-Black’ Ink fame. Tuesday 19 September at 11am;
- The Lansdowne Club, a private guided tour to a building which in its more than 250 years’ history witnessed a wide variety of occupants, roles and events. Tuesday 17 October at 11am, optional lunch.
- Members’ Dinner at the Reform Club, Sir Nigel Sheinwald GCMG, a former British Ambassador to the E.U. and the U.S.A., now among others a non-executive director at Royal Dutch Shell ans visiting professor at Kings College London on : “Britain and the World after Trump and Brexit”. Friday 17 November at 7 for 7.45pm.
- Clementi House, private guided tour to precede the Annual General Meeting at the Royal Netherlands Embassy. Monday 4 December at 3pm (visit) and 4.45 fpr 5 (AGM).
- “Masters of the Everyday : Dutch Artists in the Age of Vermeer” – an introductory talk, timed entry to the Queens’ Gallery, and optional lunch, Tuesday 26 January;
- Museum of the Order of St John – guided tour, optional lunch, Saturday 20 February, Clerkenwell;
- “What is a Chinese Identity?” – the annual Unilever Lecture, by Professor Barend J. ter Haar, reception, introduction, buffet supper, Wednesday 16 March, Blackfriars;
- “Kings of War” – preceded by optional lunch, Barbican, Sunday 24 April at 3.30pm;
- Old Royal Naval College – optional lunch, guided tour, Tuesday 24 May, Greenwich;
- Richmond Midsummer Stroll -guided tour, optional lunch, Tuesday 21 June;
- Lord’s Cricket Ground – guided tour, optional lunch, on a Monday in August;
- Cornwall – Five-day Trip -Thursday till Monday in early September;
- Southside House, Wimbledon – Guided Tour, optional lunch, Saturday September;
- “Adriaen van de Velde : Dutch Master of Landscape” – Dulwich Picture Gallery, self-guided tour, optional lunch, Saturday in the middle of October;
- Members’ Dinner – at a Members’ Club on Pall Mall, Guest Speaker to be confirmed, reception, two course dinner, interesting speaker, Friday evening in November;
- Afternoon visit to precede the Society’s Annual General Meeting – on a Thursday in December, at 2pm for 5pm, central London.
- Janine Jansen Concert -Wigmore Hall, Monday 12 January at 7.30pm;
- “The End of the Lutine : its lost Bullion, its saved Bell and Lloyd’s” by Martin Hendriksma – 25th Unilever Lecture, Thursday 5 February at 6 for 6.30pm;
- Wallace Collection : the Great Gallery – Guided Visit, Wednesday 11 February at 11;
- “Rubens and His Legacy” – private talk and visit to the exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts, Friday 27 March at 10.30am;
- “Waterloo at Windsor : 1815 – 2015 – A Prince, A Duke and An Emperor” – special Talk and Visit to the exhibition at Windsor Castle, Thursday 23 April at 11.30 am;
- Magna Carta at the British Library – Visit, Thursday 21 May at 2pm, British Library;
- East End Art Tour – four galleries optional lunch, Saturday 13 June 2pm, Shoreditch;
- Trinity House – Guided afternoon Visit, Monday 6 July at 3pm, Tower Hill, London;
- College of Arms – planned Private Visit and Supper, Tuesday 15 September, 6.30pm;
- Visit to Oxford with Blue Badge Guide – afternoon tour, with tea / drinks in the garden of the Rector’s Lodgings at Lincoln College, Saturday 10 October at 12.30pm;
- Waterloo 200 – the Inconvenient Truth? -invitation to join the Anglo-Belgian Society at a Lecture and Reception, the Guards Chapel , Wednesday 14 October at 6.30pm;
- “The Amazing World of M.C. Escher” – with optional lunch, afternoon visit, Dulwich Picture Gallery, London, Saturday 31 October;
- 95th Anniversary Dinner with Guest Speaker H.E. the Netherlands’ Ambassador, Mr Simon J.H. Smits – Grocers’ Hall, London, Friday 20 November at 7 for 7.45pm;
- Sir John Soane’s Museum – an optional visit preceding the Annual General Meeting (Wednesday 9 December at 3 and 4.30 for 5pm.
- Richard II, Royal Shakespeare Company, Barbican, Wednesday 22 January, 7.15pm,
- Cinema Museum – Guided Tour with selected film fragments, refreshments, London SE11, Thursday 13 February at 1.30pm,
- “The Kingdom of the Netherlands : The Early Years” – by Professor Dr Ido de Haan, Unilever Lecture, Wednesday 19 March at 6 for 6.30pm, buffet supper,
- Cheapside Hoard – Private Talk by the curator and Visit, approx. 400 pieces of Elizabethan and Jacobean jewellery, Friday 28 March at 11am, optional lunch,
- “Westminster to Victoria via St James’ “ – Guided Contemporary Architecture Walk, Art Historian and Architecture Expert Daphne Thissen, Tuesday 15 April 3pm,
- “The Great War in Portraits” – Private Lecture and Timed Visit, National Portrait Gallery, London, Monday 28 April, lecture at 11.30 am, entry from 1pm,
- Strawberry Hill, Horace Walpole’s House is perhaps England’s most Elegant and Eccentric “Little Gothic Castle”, in Twickenham, Tuesday 20 May at 11am,
- “Mondrian and Colour” at Turner Contemporary, Margate, Sat. 14 June at 11.30am,
- Chelsea Physic Garden – Guided Tour of a 340-year old green oasis, once far from the Pestilence of the City, now in the centre of the Metropolis, Thu. 10 July at 11am,
- Amsterdam – Four-day Trip , Thursday 2 – Friday 5 September,
- Market Garden : 70th Anniversary – Commemorative Lunch and Illustrated Talk at Moor Park Golf Club, Rickmansworth, Sunday 28 September from 11.15am,
- Charterhouse – Guided Visit to ‘Sutton’s Hospital at Charterhouse’, once built as a Carthusian Monastery, converted to a Tudor Mansion, Tuesday 7 October at 2.15pm,
- “Rembrandt : The Late Works” – Evening Visit, Reception, Private Introductory Talk by Curator Dr Betsy Wieseman, at the National Gallery, Friday 24 October 6pm,
- Members’ Dinner with Guest Speaker H.E. Sir Geoffrey Adams, H.M. Ambassador to the Netherlands in the Library, Reform Club, Friday 14 November at 7 for 7.45pm,
- Lloyd’s Register – Guided Visit followed by Annual General Meeting at the Dutch Centre, 7 Austin Friars, 25 November 2pm, and 4.30 for 5pm.
- … events which took place before November 2013 are omitted …
- Members’ Dinner Guest Speaker Mr Ed Daniels, Chairman Shell UK ltd at the Royal Overseas League, Park Place, London, Friday 8 November at 7 for 7.45pm,
- Annual General Meeting at – and preceded by guided tour of – Carpenters’ Hall, Wednesday 27 November at 4 for 5pm,
- Musical Soirée with musicians of the Royal College of Music, organised with the Franco-British Society, at a Member’s residence, Tuesday 10 December at 6.30pm.
Comments and feedback regarding this site
Please use the “Leave a Reply” form on selected pages to let the web-editor know of anything that ought to be included, amended or omitted; comments are read and moderated by the web-editor, may -or not- be published : please indicate your request to delete after reading.
Please do not use this form to advise the Society’s Administrative Office of any changes relating to your membership : those details are listed on the Contact Details page.